Monday, October 8, 2007

Great Jam tonight

We had what I thought was a great, great jam tonight. We had our normal crop of good pickers, but the man who put us over was the great, great mandolin player named Brian. (Bryan?) He wasn't even on fire till the end, he was just freakin' good as anybody I ever heard.

He was yawning while he was blowing our doors off. [Kudos to you, sir!]
We got a groove on and worked through this one...


At the end Casey and me got to pick some triple mando with him. We thought we knew Old Dangerfield but Brian set us straight.

If he don't come back on his own, we'll hunt him down, tie him up and drag him back for some more mando lessons.

Update:
In other notable news, Miss Lucy is following in the big footsteps of other jam fans small enough to dance in the middle of the circle without throwing things off! Isabella and Harlo, you're time is done! Meet the new boss! Younger than the old boss!

Bill scorched up Cripple Creek and every other traditional tune we could throw at him with his funky 8-string.
We had a fine dobro player who's name I missed (Sorry, buddy!); we dusted off Rebecca when Asenath dusted off her banjo, we had no bass player for a while, but eventually Casey got there and picked up Timmy's Fender Jazz bass and Jaco-ized the joint. Ask him to play Donna Lee next time!

3 comments:

Ralph said...

Yep, that jam simmered a while then boiled right over. How late did y'all play?
The mando guy said he will only be around a couple of months. Oh well. Hope he had fun and comes back.
Don't forget Wayne Frye's mean soloing on several fine cuts.
The dobro dude is Wayne Eastridge. He plays, like, five instruments and sings really fine. Also writes songs. He's one of the "Original Seven" from the first jam, Feb. 7, 2000.

Wayne said...

I thought it was pretty good myself! I don't know about me having any mean solos, but I did have a right good time. I'm looking forward to Sat. I think the tunes we've worked on are gonna be great.

Chris... gotta record this for the possible CD in the works!

Chris Burgoyne said...

Side Door Sessions for sale on iTunes! All our troubles will be over when that wave hits! I'm already negotiating the "Behind the Music" deal.