Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Desert Island Bluegrass

If I was on a desert island and got to take only 5 bluegrass cds with me (to play in my coconut milk-powered cd player) I'd bring:
  1. Hot Rize (first album, aka "The Biscuit Album")
  2. Tony Rice Plays and Sings Bluegrass
  3. Seldom Scene - 20th Anniversary Concert (I always liked the lineup with Lou Reid on guitar)
  4. The Original David Grisman Quintet Album (The one the kicks off with EMD)
  5. Bill Monroe Box Set (I guess that's cheating...but if I had to pick one, I'd pick disc 3, which goes from the late 50's through the 60's)
What would y'all bring?
I'm already lamenting that I have no Garcia-Grisman with me, nor any Doyle Lawson. C'est la vie on the desert island.

4 comments:

Wayne said...

Let's see. Seldom Scene-Live at the Cellar Door. Alison Kraus live double CD. (Yes, it counts as bluegrass) Larry Rice, the one with "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me." I've got a Flat and Scrugs Double album LP, "The World of Flatt and Scrugs" that is pretty cool. Guess I'd have to convert it to a CD, no turntables on the island! Lastly, I take a CD with some JB's on it just for the entertainment and memory value.

Ralph said...

Roy Hall and His Blue Ridge Entertainers (just 'cause my grandpappy's on it)

Bill Monroe Anthology (good sample from 1950 on)

Stanley Brothers Columbia Sessions

Flatt and Scruggs Mercury Sessions

John Hartford "Aereo-Plain."

Chris Burgoyne said...

Love Hartford's Morning Bugle, too. Aero-plane is prob the better record, but I got Morning Bugle first, so...you know...

Chris Burgoyne said...

More...
Garcia-Grisman, Shady Grove
Douglas, Barenberg, and Meyer -Skip, Hop, and Wobble (Best version of Big Sciota)
Tim O'Brien, Red on Blond (Senor!)
Tony Rice - Manzanita (Classic record: Old Train, Little Sadie, 9 Lb Hammer, etc)
Bluegrass Album Band - compilation CD (Rice, Crowe, Lawson, Douglas, Bobby Hicks and/or Vassar)