Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Radford jam, Galax bureau

Seeing all of our friends from Radford down at the fiddlers convention was way cool. We have a great traditional music community in Radford-Cburg-Bburg and our little corner of SWVa was well-represented at campsites and jam sessions all over Felts Park.

In just a few hours traipsing around the site I saw:
Vernon and Paul Elkins (picked a few with them)
Sandra Lyerly (claims she heard me on the radio while driving 460 then high-tailed it to Galax)
Brian Muller (backed up his dad in OT fiddle)
Nancy Corey (cheering on the local fiddlers)
Scott Patrick (wearing a Red Man hat)
The Thornton Family (Spoke to Curtis and Maggie, saw Tim onstage)

I heard that PJ George and some of his gang were there. Not to mention Wayne, Joe and Jason. George Smith will be there tonight. Didn't see Tim Mills, but he'll be there, too.

Plus, li'l Avery Davis placed 5th in youth fiddle on Monday, which is awesome. The young siblings who come down to the jam -- and who played a rousing "Brown County Breakdown" a couple weeks back -- also competed in the youth contest and even in the adult old-time fiddle competition. The future of the NRV's bluegrass and old-time scene looks and sounds secure.

I also saw NRV neighbors like Jack Hinshelwood and Kathleen O'Connell, who don't make it out to the Radford jam, but are key figures in the local music scene.

It's really cool to me how all these people, most of whom would have never met otherwise, have gotten to become really good friends all because of their shared love of music. Down in Galax, most of us spin off into separate little communities, which is also kinda neat because it shows how far our tentacles stretch into various musical groups all over Virginia and beyond. Because of those musical associations, many of us are separated from bluegrass big shots by just a matter of degrees.

But it's not the big shots who are near and dear to me. My friends are. Keep making those sweet ol' sounds!

4 comments:

Wayne said...

I agree with you 100%. It is kinda cool to sit around and listen to Heather Berry (not a real big shot, but bigger than me!), and we saw Adam Steffe lingering around last night, but when the rubber meets the road, it'll be long lasting friends that are there to help you. Not to mention pick some tunes with ya, and tell ya that you sound good, even if you don't!!!

Chris Burgoyne said...

When we pickin' again?

Ralph said...

Thanks, Wayne, I apprec- ... Wait a second! Are you saying that you've been lying all these years when you say that I sound good?!!!

Wayne said...

No, I'm talking about when you say I sound good and I know I don't!!