Sunday, November 16, 2008

Perhaps I should extend my remarks...

I'm realizing that there was a whole lot going on. So much that I barely got to talk to anybody. [Wilson, call me!]

Ralph kicked us off with a perfect set for the Side Door - a set that you can't do anywhere else round here. He played real good for free and threw down some serious acoustic tunes and commanded the audience's rapt attention. What more can you ask? He also did it with his upside down left-handed technique on the right-handed guitar.
The Free Range Possums were somewhat reorganized, but they put on a sweet set. Bailey's fiddling is getting better all the time, and she was backed up the the Steele family and Fritz, and Jason Wheeler on the banjo, too. I may meander over memories in due time, but aside from the clean clear fiddle in the band, Tom's guitar playing was cookin', and Jason is developing a massive hammer tone. I'll try and post up their 99 Years and show yuz.

Fred and Jon Benfield, aka American Roots delivered a seriously laid-back set of guitar duo-dom that was just plain fine. They busted out a Beaumont Rag that reminded me that we should start playing that one. They'd did a Doc and Merle style Deep River Blues, a swingin' Route 66, and a bunch more. The crowd dug it and I think Jon and Fred dug it, too.

The last act was Wayne Frye and Scott Fore. I felt a little bad that I made everyone wait for these guys, but they made it worth it. Again, their set of John Denver tunes was a one of a kind thing that we've been lucky to hear at the Sessions.

Call me a sap, but I dug the Country Roads--we had the most seriously in-tune sing along ever. Scott and Wayne got a really special tthing going with their guitar playing--their two guitars sounded like a single 12 string. Sweet. Wayne charmed the pants of all the ladies showing his sensitive side. FCS-- That, uh...feller can sing!

Thanks to Ralph for playing and his usual help; thanks to Wayne for helping set up and his cool set. Thanks also to Jason and Todd for great sound, Joe for assistance, Laurie for helping with the door, my brother Mike for checking it out, and all the folks for making the show.

7 comments:

Cuzzin Tom said...

Greetings Red Door gang. On behalf of Possums everywhere I want to express our gratitude for the invitation to play at the Red Door on Saturday. While Bud was sorely missed on the "banjer", we possums are glad have Jason Wheeler in our circle of friends. Jason did an outstanding job in Bud's stead. I apologize for "scramming" after our set, but the Steeles had an early Sunday morning and I had to get those chilluns in bed! We will close 'er down next time to make up for it! The Possums are looking forward to the next time the we are called to Red Door duty! Hopefully, we will be in full force and can share the musical "goodies" we have in store for the Red Door patrons. Take care. Tom

Ralph said...

Chris, will you be posting audio links? Folks who missed the Denver Pyle set will want to hear it.

Chris Burgoyne said...

I'm swamped today, but I'll be posting recordings before too long.

Wayne said...

It was an excellent night all around. I think the JB's need to have Ralph do a couple of those tunes coming out of a break. He started things out the right way. I agree with Chris that Bailey is quite the fiddler! I really enjoyed these guys. (Jason included) The acoustic review was a lot like hearing Doc Watson perform. They are mighty fine pickers.
As for myself and Scott, first I want to thank Scott. He is obviously a fine picker. Secondly, thanks to everyone for being receptive to the JD set. Country Roads did sound pretty cool, and I have to say all of the "Colorados" during Rocky Mt. High was fun, too.
I was a bit nervous playing with a grand champion and doing some tunes that I wasn't sure would be a hit with the crowd. It turned out pretty good, and I thank you guys for giving it a warm reception!

Hope to see everyone soon!!!!

Chris Burgoyne said...

Thanks to the Possums again. Really hiqh quality.

Ralph said...

Nice post-session jam, too.

Cuzzin Tom said...

Hey guys
It's hard to be me. While watching the video of the Possums at the last Side Door gala, Bailey offered a suggestion for improvement - "I think Fritz should sing all our songs and you sing tenor, daddy." She meant that in a Christian way, I am sure! She's really onto something, though...Take care!