Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cold night, hot tunes


OK, so that's a cliched headline.
But it's accurate!
Usual group of pickin' suspects last night -- minus one certain, John Denver-singing guitarist and mandolinist who, we have heard, is in jail. Good selection of tunes. Weird lineups! Joe on guitar? (Somebody's angling for a Side Door set, I believe.) Sandra on the fiddle? Ralph on the doublebassoon? Chris on dope? Yes, all true!
A fairly full house heard a number of old faves, fiddle tunes (when Sandra rosined up the bow, we had 4 fiddlers -- Sandra, Sloane, Richard and RBjr) and new cuts.
Casey showed up late and led us through "Cattle in the Cane," and he and Joe swapped solos on "Cold, Frosty Morning" and "Old Dangerfield." Joe was serenadin' a fair young maiden (I'm a poet and didn't know it) with "Friend of the Devil" when I dashed through the snow. Should've played "Footprints in the Snow," but that one makes me cry.
A lovely evening, indeed.

2 comments:

Chris Burgoyne said...

I prefer the phraseology "perceptionally enhanced" to the crass construction, "on dope."

Wayne said...

I'll be paroled by the middle of next week. Tried to get an early release for "good time", but when they heard my plans for hangin with a bunch of criminals, I had to serve the full sentence.

Hope to see ya'll soon. Maybe the JD Crowe concert?