Sunday, October 19, 2008

All Hail the MacBook

I post this as I watch Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase with Isabella. Every time I watch Scooby Doo I dust off my script draft for Scooby Doo and the Festival Phantom. The phantom is an old banjo player who strikes more fear than usual in his audience. (Turns out the phantom is really old man Abercrombie, foiled by those meddling kids.)

So I'm watching with my headphones on an my MacBook on my lap, perusing the recordings I made yesterday of most of the Java Brothers at Sinkland Farms. We did some very good proof of concept work. I was watching the clock and we got the PA set up in 5 minutes- which means we should never go without, and we had it sound checked within 10. Thats pretty sweet. In that 10 minutes I also set up my computer, ran from the PA lineout to the line in on the laptop. I opened an Audacity project and hit record. If any of y'all don't have it, download Audacity. It's a free sound editing software that will let you chop up recordings and stuff. (It's good for all JBs, anyway!)

So I put this in the "we're in the future, and the future is nice" column. I recorded the whole show, and the sound quality was good. I picked up all our wrong notes and some wind noise on the microphones, but the concept is proven and we can start cranking on the JB's big live album. (I vote for recording at Joe's house--who's with me! Joe! Joe! Joe! Joe!)

Here's Joe leading us in the Hobo Song. "They still got his picture, it's hung on the wall..."

No comments: