Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Home of the Radford Scene

Well another jam has done come and gone, and I got to go to this one!
Mistah George was out again playing that Country Gentleman style banjo. (Not to be confused with the Country Gentlemen style banjo.) The students were back and we gave em a little sampler of the old and the new. It's funny to us that our "progressive" tunes are 30-plus years old. [Honkytonk Women and I Know You Rider are, I guess, what I'm thinking of.] Anybody made any good pop music in the last 10 years that we can appropriate? I'm open to suggestions.

We had a 2nd jam outside last night, which is always nice in the summertime. We were running through the old school songbook. Then Joe came out and we worked on our "Crossing the Cumberlands." Even got a chance to bang out a Pretty Polly, which is hard to do with the big jam. The timing always gets whacky. [You've got to come to an agreement about how it's going to go ahead of time.]

So the Mill is the current hub of the Radford music scene, as far as I can tell. I even met a guy in Blacksburg, who lives in Radford, and even though I'd never met him before, when I told him I played Bluegrass, he rightly assumed that I'd been playing at the store. It's what musicians do around here.

Here's to the grand daddy of Bluegrass joints.

If you ever get to Nashville, don't you dare skip the Station Inn!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, your idea for a night at the Side Door definitely has a Station Inn kinda feel.

I say book the 13th. We'll spread the word.

And the Radford jam's success is due entirely to the musicians who have played there, some going as far back as the first jam at the ill-fated Chili Peppers (a place that lasted about 6 months).

Chris Burgoyne said...

The date, she is booked. Onward to history! (Or something...)

Wayne said...

When do we start asking folks to come. Don't wanna go over the limit, but I have a few that might pay 10 bucks to hear it!