Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ground Zero for Music Now


As soon as I get my time machine fixed, I'm gonna go back to certain places at certain times where important music scenes were really happening.

Louis Armstrong in Chicago in the 20's, Charlie Parker on 52nd Street in New York in the early 40's, I'd go see them. I'd drop in on all the different rock and roll movements - The Who and the Kinks and the Rolling Stones in London; CCR, the Grateful Dead, and the hippie bands in San Francisco; the Doors and the Byrds in LA, punk in New York, early 80's in Athens, Georgia, Grunge in Seattle...then I'd go back to Paris and see Django Reinhardt and on and on...

And when I was done, and back to NOW, and having dealt with whatever tears in the space-time continuum I'd caused by dancing with my grandmother at a Duke Ellington concert, I'd be in just the right place.

Clearly, the New River Valley is where thing are at right now.


We've seen the Side Door Sessions flourish, and these two guys are among the many voices you've heard there. Read this and realize we are where it's at. Our pals Scott Patrick and Abe Goorskey have made an album! Go buy it y'all! And then make your own album, and sell that one, too. This place is crawlin' with talent.


[Photo by Alan Kim, Roanoke Times]

PS: Don't forget the Casey's-leaving-town-and-we-gotta-pick-with-him-one-more-time party tomorrow night! Be there!

1 comment:

Ralph said...

Hope to see everybody at Casey's.