Friday, May 16, 2008

Java Brothers Get All Literary and Stuff

This is from Ralph, who couldn't get on the blog last night. (Probably too many people already looking at it!)

The JBs entertained the well-read supporters of the Radford Public Lebrary Wednesday night at Selu. Novelist Robert Morgan, whose latest book is a non-fiction bio of Daniel Boone (who he says never wore a coonskin cap), was the guest speaker. Wayne, Doug, Joe, Casey, Bill, RBjr. played a while on the back porch of the barn, then dined on prime rib, mashed taters and green beans...as Ralph, Wayne and Joe waxed nostalgic about bygone bars and clubs in Radford.

Inspired by Porgessor Morgan's speechifying, the JBs played a medley of "Boone tunes" - Cumberland Gap, Blue Moon of Ky., and other wilderness rd.-style tunes.

3 comments:

Wayne said...

I'll post a comment so it looks like people actually respond! We did have a good time, free food and drink, the speaker was entertaining and informative, and some of the crowd seemed interested in our pickin.

The JBs had their own assinged table, probably to keep us away from the other guests! Ruth sat with us, and won the table door prize, a copy of the author's book about ole Dan Boone.

Safe travels to Ralph, Ruth and Lucy as they go to NEW YORK CITY. Man, the JBs are quite the travelers, just not together. The world isn't ready for that one yet!!

Chris Burgoyne said...

I'm booking us here for next year, Wayne. Make sure your passport is in order. Hope you drank some Boones Farm wine, too.
And Wayne, if I forgot to tell you, my neighbor with the big porch (Jim Kern--Dr. Karl's son in law) has the key to my garage if you need the PA.

Wayne said...

I think we'll be fine without the PA until your return. I have been thinking about PA usage in the City Park for the 4th. I'll talk to ya about it later.

My passport is up to date and ready. Get us booked and I'm in!!!