Monday, May 19, 2008

Bahala na = que sera sera

...no problem, take it easy, etc.

Here's some notes from our trip:
We've been on vacation for about a week. Half of that is kind of stressful making planes, not forgetting stuff, meeting family. The other half has been really relaxing and stimulating. Japan was cool and (for the short time we were there) not difficult to get around. The Phils seem nicer, but that might be cause I'm staying in a nicer part. We're in Makati where the main business seems to be BPO -business process outsourcing. It's been cool enough that I'm considering the possibility of thinking about finding a way to open an office here. That's one of the things we do at my company.

We were feted at Christine's cousins place yesterday. In the Quezon City section (home of the Thrilla in Manila) most of the houses are behind walls, so it would be like going through North Philly, going through a gate, and feeling completely at home. There is enough squalor to let you know that the third world is part of this place, but enough commerce to know that success is possible.

It's kind of wild westy, too. Bank robbery in Laguna bank--9 hostages executed. Mental note: keep eyes open at the ATM.
Malls everywhere. I'm in one now.

Going to the beach tomorrow. Gonna buy some loose shirts before I go totally native. Y'all might dig it here (if you keep an open mind, I guess).

I've popped into an Internet cafe here to drop you a line. No wireless access at our apt (no damn unsecured accounts around us!) and the wireless at the Starbucks downstairs is giving me trouble.
On the upside, my laptop is ok here. Apparently it was built for international use.

Christine's family had a big get together for us yesterday with a big spread of fine food. They're very curious about the Burgoyne side. I'll have to bring one of my kin along on the next trip.

We're heading to the beach in Bohol tomorrow. (Bohol Beach Club--check it online).

We're having fun and getting slightly tanner and slightly thinner. Isabella is making friends everywhere she goes. She loves the pool. I like it too, it's on the 7th floor of our 30 story building. When you sit in the pool and look north, it looks like the water runs right into the tops of skyscrapers.

I hope I'll have web access at the beach but I can't count on it, so till next time, Bahala Na...

Chris, Christine, and Isabella

No comments: