Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Smokin' Jam at the Mill Last Night

Packed house at the Mill last night. Good folks pickin' all over the place. Mistah Christian was there trying to play out his pre-delivery-of-first-baby stress. I don't think it worked. Send some good thoughts his way, wontcha people? We got another picker on the way!

We were blessed with Ebby the fine, fine fiddler from Tazewell County. Along with Ralph, Sloane, and Richard, we had an elegant sufficiency in the violin section.

Never short of mandos, we had Wayne, Chris, Mary, Casey, and Brian Muller. Good tunes a plenty. Notable was the Wild Bill Jones by Ebby's lady friend. (Ralph - name, please?)
Lots of tunes in B to test the new fiddler and he ate it up. That guy was good, good, good.

I can't name all the pickers, there musta been 30. It was hot in there when I showed up round 7:30, and it rocked all the way till about 10:15. (Past closin' time!)

I dragged Casey over to Sharkey's afterwards to check it out, and all the reports I've heard are true: it's loud, loud, loud. They were out of Casey's choice, Red Hook, so we got a Newcastle each and picked some twin Mando out on the porch. It was loud out there, too, but that's cool. We had a good time.

Look out for the Casey Elder experience at the next Side Door. I don't know what he's whippin' up, but I'm sure it'll be great.

Peace out, yo!

4 comments:

Ralph said...

Ebby Jewel and his wife Teresa were the guests. Ebby told me he's from Tazewell (I looked him up; he's pretty well-known in SWVa.; placed 2nd in MANDOLIN in Galax in 2002). He said he's played fill-in stints with the Country Gentlemen, IIIrd Time Out and James King.

Wayne said...

He told me he had recorded Lonesome Pine before Mountain Heart did. He was really good! He said we had some really good pickers and singers in the crowd. His wife indicated he teaches bluegrass lessons at the community college over near Tazewll, and was looking to try to put a band together. He might have been scoutin' the local talent last night.

Anyways, it was a fine jam as usual. Just when you think it can't get better, someone like Ebby shows up and BANG, it gets better and feels like new all over again. I coulda played for another couple of hours!

I say we do it again next week. If the Mill is not open, we'll pick in the parking lot or something!

Ralph said...

I think the Mill is open. I'll check and send out a message.

Chris Burgoyne said...

right aawwwwn. Pick on and prosper.