Thursday, November 1, 2007

Travelin' Down the Lonesome Road


How far have you traveled for Bluegrass?

I just got an email about the Durango Bluegrass Meltdown. I'm not sayin' I'm goin', but I do love Colorado, and I do love Bluegrass, so it sounds like a winner trip to me.
I've done some far flung festivals over the years, but they tend to be in Carolina and Virginia, my back yard at this point.
I've been curious about Rockygrass and Telluride, and San Francisco's Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival is also really appealing. Anybody ever go on one of those Bluegrass Cruises?
I still like that I've got so many festivals close by--Merlefest, Ralph Stanley's Festival, Graves Mountain, Floyd Fest, and on and on. But I get itchy feet, and musical vacations are my favoritest kind.

2 comments:

Ralph said...

I've never traveled to many festivals. I am a loser in that regard, I know.
Never been to Merlefest ... meant to go 10 years ago, now everybody says it's too big.
Hardly Strictly Bluegrass looks amazing. It's cool what you can do when a billionaire bankrolls your festival!
I've done a good number of the fiddlers conventions, although I've never been to Clifftop. Wayne Henderson's June festival in Grayson Highlands State Park is a nice little event in a beautiful location.

Chris Burgoyne said...

I went to Merle for a couple years, and while it was great, YES, it has gotten way too big. The allure was the relative intimacy, and that long gone. I may go back (I went for a day this year) but unless they cap the attendance, I won't put it back on my MUST GO calendar. I've been to Grey Fox twice and enjoy that a lot--bit of a hike from SW VA, however. Never been to Graves--I think maybe this is the year.
PS-I want to PLAY FloydFest this year, we better get on the stick!