Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Spectrum


Before I spent all my time playing bluegrass, I blew all my money going to concerts. A good bunch of em at the Spectrum in Philadelphia.
First show? George Thorogood in 1985.
Followed immediately by Rush.
Then over the years, YES, Springsteen, Jethro Tull(!), Moody Blues, INXS, U2, David Bowie, LIVE, Roger Waters, 3 Dead shows, Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, REM, had tickets to see the CARS but got grounded and couldn't go. I listened to FM rock and roll exclusively.
In 1987, I went down and when faced with a wad of cash, I scalped my Springsteen tickets. I later regretted this, but live and learn. I'm sure I'm missing some in there. Saw a handful of Flyers games, a couple of Sixers games, a lacrosse game of some kind. When the Flyers moved to a new arena, the Spectrum hosted the Philadelphia Phantoms hockey - tons of fights!

4 comments:

Ralph said...

Plus, it's where Apollo Creed won a split decision over Rocky Balboa in '76.

Wayne said...

Don't forget DR. J !

Ralph said...

"Ain't gonna be no rematch..."

If only that had been true.

Chris Burgoyne said...

And Weezer played there just this summer! Rock N Roll.