Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

Christine hooked me up for this birthday.
Monday we set Isabella up with Grandma and we headed down to South Philly for a big ol' time. We hit Pat's for a cheesesteak and then down to see Bruce play one of the last shows at the Philadelphia Spectrum. We got to meet up with my old pal Andy and his bride who just happened to have tix to the very same show. He was my next door neighbor growing up and our birthdays both in October. I guess was the obvious gift for both of us.

Springsteen has been treating fans to performances of albums from the discography. We got Born to Run, which was a good one to get.
I've been a fan since I can remember, and I think Born to Run was the first album I bought with my own money, so I'm always willing to give Bruce the benefit of the doubt.

I thought of the JBs during this one - Bruce taking requests. I liked this one, not because it sounded great, but because he took a chance on it. IMHO you never want to have the whole show planned out - gotta call some audibles!


I thought Bruce might have been pulling a Del McCoury - pretending to ask for requests, and then when a million people yell up some song, he plays what he wants, but whatever...
As for the King, (whoever he was) he made the most of it, as I would have - he drove the band into Blue Suede Shoes and made Bruce take a break. Sweet.
Lighters are gone from the arena shows, replaced by glowing cell phones. In this case Phillies fans tracking the Phils-Dodgers game that ended after the show. (Phils win!)
Thanks Christine!

2 comments:

Wayne said...

Glad you've had a great time. Looks like the "king" stole the show for a minute or two. Bruce had a little competition there!

Chris Burgoyne said...

Give em an inch!