Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Big Fun, Old Pals

Good jam last night as usual. With the warming weather, some of the boys got to play outside, and we had a surprise pop-in from our old pal Greg Van Nest (guitar builder and picker). He moved up to Joisey a couple years back, and he reports that, as you might expect, the jammin' just isn't as happenin' in the Garden State as it is here in the NRV.

Last night was notable also because it was a bit of a sendoff for our pickin' Princess, Asenath. She's movin' down to Chilhowie to go to school and to supplement the Mountain Empire jam scene. I won't make too big a deal of it because 1) it's not that far away 2) it ain't forever --though she's bound to get discovered one of these days and we'll only see her on CMT or the stage at IBMA.

Greg is proof! She'll be back!

Everyone learn this tune and meet me back at the Mill Monday after next. (I'm back out of town next week.)


Bonus: Check out this... The Big Bug Shuffle

3 comments:

Wayne said...

Gotta tell ya guys, I'm gonna miss Asenath no matter how long she's gone or whether she can make a trek back to the Mill every month or so. It's not often somebody who can pick and sing like that comes along. She and I hit it off pretty good and kinda had a feel for singing with each other. I have really enjoyed performing at the Mill and other places with her.
Made her promise to come back as often as possible, and who know's if I'm not at the Mill one Monday, I might be at a jam an hour or so down the road!

Ralph said...

Oh no! The death of the Radford Fiddle and Banjo Jam! We're being offshored to Chillhowie!

Greg said...

It was great to see you all. I'll hopefully do a better job about keeping in touch and dropping by the jam when I'm in town. Hopefully it won't be another three years until I see you again.

Greg