Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Extry fun jam

We missed some familiar faces last nite, but welcomed a slew of newcomers and old pals to the jam.

A dobro player named Sandy (forgot his last name) from Tuscon stopped by on his 2,000-mile trek to hear real bluegrass music. He's on his way to Nashville, but knew he had to get to the Va/NC mountains first. He heard about our jam while in Floyd on Sunday. Heard about it from the young banjo picker who has come a few times (name escapes me). Sandy said he loved the jam and had a wonderful time.

A guitarist named Dan from Conn. sang and picked many good ones. Wayne, this is the dude you've been e-mailing. He had a good time, too.

Otherwise, we had a full house of pickers and grinners. George, Joe, Kendall, Dale (!), Nancy, Mary, Doug, Frankie, Timmy, Sloane, Jeff the fiddler, Richard, Cory, Christian, young mando picker whose name I think is Ian, aforementioned young banjer plucker, and the 2 new fellers. And me. Hope I didn't forget anybody.

Joe sang "Long Gone." Dale sang a bunch. Dan the new guy sang "Highway of Sorrow" among others. Sandy the dobro man sang a gospel number and played beautifully. I forgot the words and tunes to songs I've been singing for years.

1 comment:

Chris Burgoyne said...

New blood. That's cool.
New tunes. Shake it up.

I'm sorry I missed it and will do all to make it next week.

Go Phils! (And Eagles!)