Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bass? Who needs a bass?

A hardy band of a dozen or so bass-less pickers had a fine ol' time during a Memorial Day jam. The crowd was a little lighter than usual, but even so, the place was mostly full. The smaller numbers and the stellar work of the rhythm players (esp. Asenath, Kendall and Nancy) made it a little easier to handle the lack of the ol' doghouse.

We welcomed a rare visit from old pal Wilson Rankin, who spun some of his classic country stylings. Tim Pak sang more songs than he has in all his previous visits combined (3, I think). Chris, Kendall, George and Asenath vocalized all nice and bluegrassy. Jason, Richard, Christian and Nancy were among the regulars, and we were joined by a young lady who has just begun playing mandolin. Hope we didn't scare her off!

The real highlight, IMHO, was the fiddling of our new young friend Avery "AveDave" Davis, who soloed on "Devil's Dream" and "Salt Creek." She earned big ovations for both, well-deserved.

10 comments:

Wayne said...

Missed being there. It was quite a night at work. Seems like people having a long weekend together meant they had to fight a bunch.

I think that Avery is laying back and watching and plucking through a bunch of the tunes. I predict whe will blast us with some hot leads real soon.

I should be back for a short visit next week.

Catch ya'll later

Chris Burgoyne said...

That girl can fiddle. And Richard's getting stronger every week. There was some triple fiddlin that makes me think we should dust off some tunes like Brown County Breakdown, Scotland, and pump up tunes like Big Mon.

Ralph said...

Salt Crick and Whiskey sounded right good last night. And Kendall sang the old-timey number Sugar Hill, too.

Anonymous said...

Y'all make a mom proud! Keep putting Avery on the spot and she can play whatever... she's not as shy as she used to be though. Her fiddle teacher passed away in April and the Monday nights have been great for keeping her going. Thanks for taking her in:)

Angela Davis

Anonymous said...

AveDav... (I like it) You make a Great Uncle proud also! Can't wait til you come back down to Florida to jam!
Love to all
UncJohn

Asenath said...

I thought that even though we didnt have a bass the jam was going rather well before I left. But, I must say who needs Wayne when you've got me on rhythm! (HA HA HA HA!!!) Just kidding, Wayne was greatly missed especialy by my poor arm.

Wayne said...

Yeah, who needs Wayne! Wait a minute, that's me I'm talking about....

Ralph said...

These are like the most comments we've ever gotten.

Joe said...

Wayne's comment said something about waiting a minute... I came up with the following start of a song, whadaya think?

"Wait a minute did I hear you say you're going far away again?"

Wayne said...

I like that, Joe. Maybe I can help you with the tune. Something in B?